Old Fashioned Scottish Apple And Ginger Chutney
OLD FASHIONED SCOTTISH APPLE AND GINGER CHUTNEY
A delightful apple chutney with the added kick of ginger. I make this every autumn when I harvest my apples from the garden - you can use windfall apples too. Chutney is such an interesting preserve as it combines sweet and savoury flavours, making it an ideal accompaniment for a range of dishes such as cold meats, salami, ham, pasties, pies and is essential in a traditional Ploughman's Lunch! I also add chutney to my curries, tagines and winter stews. The word chutney is derived from the Hindu word "chatni" meaning strongly spiced. Try to use good cooking apples with plenty of flavour and taste for the best results. This is based on a family recipe and is a mellow and mild type of chutney.
Recipe From food.com
Provided by French Tart
Yield 4 lbs
- Place all the prepared onions and apples into a large preserving pan and add the remaining ingredients.
- Bring slowly to the boil and then lower the heat so that chutney cooks at a rolling boil.
- Stir the chutney regularly and make sure it does not "catch" and burn on the base of the preserving pan.
- Keep on cooking until the chutney is the consistency of a thick jam and all the liquids have dissolved.
- (A trick to check if it is cooked is to draw your wooden spoon across the chutney, if the space that is left fills up with liquid, the chutney is not ready yet!).
- Spoon the hot chutney into hot and sterile jars and seal immediately.
- Makes about 4 lbs chutney.
- Store in a dark and cool place and leave to mature for at least 2 weeks.
- Will keep in ideal storage conditions for up to 2 years+.
Number Of Ingredients: 11
- 1 lb onion, weight is for onions when peeled and finely chopped
- 2 lbs cooking apples, weight is for apples when peeled, cored and roughly chopped
- 4 ounces sultanas
- 1 ounce fresh gingerroot, grated
- 1 teaspoon dried ginger powder
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 1 lb soft brown sugar
- 1/2 pint malt vinegar
- 1/2 pint cider apple cider vinegar
- 1/2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
More recipes about Old Fashioned Scottish Apple and Ginger Chutney recipes
The Autumn Garden, Windfalls and Old Fashioned Scottish https://www.lavenderandlovage.com/2011/09/autumn-garden-windfalls
Recipe From : lavenderandlovage.comSep 20, 2011 · The Autumn Garden, Windfalls and Old Fashioned Scottish Apple and Ginger Chutney The Autumn garden is my favourite ~ the air heavy with the scent of exotic perfumed quince, … ...Show details
Old Fashioned Scottish Apple and Ginger Chutney Recipe recipeofhealth.com/recipe/old-fashioned-scottish-apple-and-ginger
Recipe From : recipeofhealth.com1 lb onion, weight is for onions when peeled and finely chopped 2 lbs cooking apples, weight is for apples when peeled, cored … ...Show details
time-to-make course main-ingredient cuisine preparation occasion low-protein very-low-carbs jams-and-preserves canning condiments-etc fruit vegetables french easy european fall picnic vegetarian english scottish dietary gifts low-sodium low-cholesterol seasonal low-saturated-fat low-calorie low-carb low-in-something apples onions taste-mood savory to-go presentation served-cold 3-steps-or-less technique 4-hours-or-less