Down South Yam Cake
DOWN SOUTH YAM CAKE
I think I adapted this recipe from something printed on a can of yams about 20 years ago. I have always enjoyed this during the fall and winter seasons, and I think you will too. It is a nice change of pace from the usual spice cake.
Recipe From food.com
Provided by JackieOhNo
Yield 16 serving(s)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan.
- In large bowl, cream sugar, butter and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Cut up yams; add to creamed mixture, beating well until combined thoroughly.
- Add flour, cinnamon, soda, baking powder, salt and nutmeg and mix well.
- By hand, fold in pecans, raisins and drained pineapple. Spoon batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly. Bake for 60-70 minutes, or until tothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool upright in pan for about 10 minutes, then invert onto serving plate and cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in medium saucepan, heat frosting over medium heat just until meted, stirring occasionally. Spoon over cooled cake, allowing some to run down sides.
Number Of Ingredients: 15
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 5 eggs
- 1 (16 ounce) can cut yams, drained
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (make sure they are lightly spooned into measuring cup and leveled off)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 (8 1/4 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained well
- 1 (15 3/4 ounce) can ready-to-spread coconut pecan frosting
More recipes about down south yam cake recipes
Down South Yam Cake - Recipe | Cooks.comhttps://www.cooks.com/recipe/t91k52kz/down-south-yam-cake.html
Recipe From : cooks.comHeat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour 10-inch tube pan. In large bowl, cream sugar, 1 1/2 cups butter and 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla until light and fluffy. ...Show details
Down-South Yam Cake - BigOven.comhttps://www.bigoven.com/recipe/down-south-yam-cake/79940
Recipe From : bigoven.comBake at 325F for 65-75 minutes or until toothpick comes our clean. Cool … ...Show details
time-to-make course cuisine preparation occasion north-american for-large-groups desserts american southern-united-states fall holiday-event winter cakes christmas thanksgiving seasonal number-of-servings 4-hours-or-less